How can we help you to become a Becker College Changemaker? Imagine:
- Starting your own social business guided by mentors or
- Designing a project addressing a social problem allowing you to be creative and to think outside of the box or
- Generating solutions that have social value.
Changemakers will have a unique opportunity to create a business plan, to apply components of the Agile Mindset, and to drive change in the world.
What is Social Entrepreneurship?
• Offering new ideas for wide-scale change;
• Finding what is not working in a system and changing it – without waiting for others to lead;
• Bringing a vision of a better world together with the realistic practical steps of getting there; and
• Solving social problems using innovative, sustainable, and measurable approaches.
What is one way that you can become a Becker Changemaker?
Through a partnership with the YSBC and the Millbury National Bank your dream can become reality. During the spring 2017 semester, Millbury National Bank will offer Becker College students microcredit loans for start-up projects. You will have to apply for the loan and then “pitch” your idea to members of Becker’s YSBC Steering Committee.
When selected, you will work with mentors who will help you to develop a project plan. For more information, an application, and deadlines visit the Changemaker Application.
“Changemaking is an attitude: Remember that, above everything, social entrepreneurship is not just a fancy term or an emerging field. Now is the moment to ensure that everyone knows they can change the world for the better, and does so…where the practice of changemaking is the norm.” (Ashoka U.)
Lessons for Change Makers by Dr. Muhammad Yunus
- Set forth a vision and stick with it. In turn, motivate and inspire others.
- Communicate within and beyond your organization/department/club (social media, blogs, articles, presentations, and websites).
- Build a team that shares your dream and is dedicated to realizing the vision.
- Be flexible and open-minded. Be willing to change your goals and strategies as circumstances evolve.
- Challenge conventional wisdom and innovate boldly. Think outside of the box and take a risk based on intuition. Don’t be afraid to fail.
- Embed your personal values in to Becker’s core values and agile mindset.
- Brand yourself and your vision. What is your story?
“If you want to do something, you have to imagine it. If you don’t imagine it, it will never happen. Entrepreneurs are innovative, highly motivated, and critical thinkers. When these attributes are combined with a drive to solve social problems, a social entrepreneur is born.” – Professor Muhammad Yunus