Internal Initiatives for the 2016-2017 Academic Year
- “Dreams: Educating the Future of Haiti” ~ Eleven staff members from the Be Like Brit Orphanage, one of our global partners, are currently enrolled in a hybrid education/training certificate program at Becker where they will learn skills related to leadership, child and adolescent psychology, social and emotional intelligence, and learning and social competence. This initiative aligns with Dr. Yunus’ call to alleviate poverty and unemployment through education.
- Click here for more information about the collaboration between the Yunus Social Business Centre @ Becker College and the Be Like Brit Foundation.
- Development of a new social business course and social innovation business curriculum.
- “Imagine What You Can Do: Be a Changemaker at Becker College” ~ In a mentoring environment, students will have the opportunity to apply for microcredit loans from the Millbury National Bank (Massachusetts) to address a social problem or to create a social business driving change.
- Partner with community organizations serving the refugee community in Worcester (social business/social enterprise).
- Service learning trips through Becker’s Center for Global Citizenship and Seven Hills Global Outreach (SHGO).
- Entrepreneurial lectures and workshops for students.
- Partnership with Ashoka U. (social entrepreneurship education and projects)
- Showcase student projects and faculty research relating to social business/enterprise/entrepreneurship.
External Initiatives for the 2016-2017 Academic Year
- Assist with global health care in Bangladesh.
- Create Master of Nursing scholarships for Yunus Centre-Dhaka/Glasgow Caledonia University trained BSN nurses provided by West Virginia University.
- Explore assistance with the Department of Psychiatry at the UMass Medical School regarding their interest in assisting Grameen Kaylan to organize a behavioral health system of care for rural Bangladesh.
- Advance start-up of local social businesses here in the U.S.; work with major corporations.
- Build the financial capacity for the operational needs of the YSBC @ Becker College.
- Submitted a proposal to Jamaican NGO leaders entitled,” Creation of a Proposed Social Impact Investment Fund of Jamaica: A Way Forward Utilizing the Principles of Social Business”